Sensory and/or physical needs
This can include difficulties with:
- Gross motor skills
- Fine motor skills
- Self-organisation for daily life
- Includes conditions such as cerebral palsy, dyspraxia, physical injury.
What can Birch Hill offer?
- An appropriate environment for aid users. We will be guided by the recommendations and support of the Sensory Consortiums Service who work closely with the school.
- Mindful, flexible seating arrangements.
- Enlarged print, fonts.
- Access to agencies for an assessment of significant needs: eg the Occupational Therapy Service.
- Dedicated, experienced and trained staff to deliver fine and gross motor skills programmes, sensory programmes.
- Support equipment such as pencil grips, ergonomic pens, sloping desk, equipment/exercises to develop hand strength and writing fluency.
Targeted group support may include:
- Fine and gross motor skills programmes ; Handwriting programmes such as Speed Up.
- Sensory diet activities
- Access to Teaching Assistant support.
Targeted individual support may include:
- Personalised support plans/Health Care plans provided by support services and delivered by our staff.
- Teaching Assistant support for complex physical needs.
- Supporting Medical Care Plans.
- Delivering Occupational Therapy Plans.