Creative Arts (Art, Dance)
At Birch Hill we aim to support the development of both those talented in the arts and those who use art to broaden their understanding of other areas of the curriculum as well as a platform to improve their wellbeing. The process of engagement in the arts results in increased confidence and improved self-esteem for children.
Art and Design
Art and Design has a very important place in our curriculum, we see it as a vehicle for creativity and individual expression. Art and Design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation. Our curriculum for Art and Design aims to ensure that all pupils can:
- Produce creative work, explore their ideas and record their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art form.
Art and design activities enrich children’s learning and enables them to communicate their thoughts, ideas and observations in a practical and expressive way. In talking about art and evaluating their own and others’ work, children are encouraged to develop their visual language, ideas and feelings. Through experience of a variety of materials, tools and techniques children have the opportunity to record creatively the world around them.
At Birch Hill we are working to ensure that sufficient time is given to Art and Design, in order to enable pupils to meet the expectations set out in the National Curriculum programme of study. The Art and Design curriculum shows progression, allowing time for children to take inspiration from the greats, develop ideas and master techniques. We have participated in programmes such as ‘Take One Picture’ which have proved to be extremely successful and we are looking at other programmes to help our school support the arts further.
In order to help the children achieve their goals and meet the expectations of the curriculum we ensure our teaching gives the pupils :
- The ability to use visual language skilfully and convincingly to express emotions, interpret observations, convey insights and accentuate their individuality.
- The ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form.
- The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
- The ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D,3D or digital media.
- An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craft makers and designers.
- The ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
- Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
- The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skilfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected.
- The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
- A passion for and a commitment to the subject.
Through dance (which is provided during indoor PE lessons), our learners have rich opportunities to be creative and to experience inspiration and enjoyment. Creating and performing are core activities for all learners, and taking part in dance contributes to their physical education and physical activity. Learners develop their technical skills and the quality of their movement, and use their imagination and skills to create and choreograph dance sequences. We also offer an after school dance club for all ages.