Communication, speech, language and social communication needs
This can include difficulties with:
- Understanding language
- Using language
- Understanding how to communicate socially with others
- Conditions that include: specific language disorder, ASD, Asperger Syndrome, speech sound disorder and/or delay
What can Birch Hill offer?
- Dedicated, experienced and trained staff who are able to deliver a range of SALT (Speech and Language Therapy). In School programmes for both Key Stage 1 and 2.
- Access to assessment and advice from the SALT service for those pupils with significant difficulties
- Access to assessment and advice from the Autistic Spectrum and Social Communication (ASSC) Mainstream School Service
- Autistic friendly classrooms: use of class visual timetables, clear rules with rewards and sanctions, a “calm area” to alleviate sensory overload
- Preparation for change and transitions, using social stories, photographs and visits.
Targeted group support may include:
- Small group sessions using SALT in School programmes; delivered by an experienced Teaching Assistant.
- Access to class based teaching assistant support.
- Access to SEN teaching assistant.
Targeted Individual support may include:
- 1:1 sessions with SALT (if your child has an Education Health Care Plan - EHCP ).
- 1:1 session with an experienced staff member delivering appropriate Language programmes .
- 1:1 session for the delivery of a SALT programme (if your child has a EHCP)
- 1:1 sessions with a focus on self-esteem; and mentoring with an experienced member of staff.
- 1:1 consultation with a specialist teacher from the ASSC support team